UFCW Locals 175 & 633 supports the advancement of Reconciliation with the Indigenous Peoples of this land including the Truth and Reconciliation Commissions’ Calls to Action.
Through UFCW Canada, we are a proud partner with the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society
As a Union, we take the responsibility of representing all workers and fighting for advancements in human and workers’ rights seriously. It is our pledge to do our part to:
- Advance Reconciliation and raise awareness through providing educational resources and information to our Members;
- Work with First Nations groups such as the First Nations Child & Family Caring Society (which UFCW Canada is proud to partner with) to support and advance the important causes those groups represent;
- Take an active role in the work to dismantle and repair existing racist and classist systems which only serve to further suppress the voices and lived experiences of Indigenous people and cause ongoing real harm to generations of families.
Further, the Union acknowledges the following important days on the calendar which serve to lift up the stories of Indigenous Peoples, commemorate past and ongoing barriers to equality and Reconciliation, and celebrate the incredible contributions of the Indigenous Peoples of Turtle Island.
- March 20: Two-Spirit and Indigenous LGBTQIA+ Celebration and Awareness Day
- May 5: National MMIWG2S Awareness Day
- This day honours and raises awareness about the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls, Two-Spirited, and Gender Diverse People across the nation.
- June: National Indigenous History Month
- June 21: National Indigenous Peoples’ Day
- August 9: International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
- September 30: National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- November (first week): Treaties Recognition Week
- November 8: National Indigenous Veterans Day
You can find our land acknowledgement here.