New members at Canna Cabana Queen East ratify first collective agreement
January 11, 2024
Members at Canna Cabana, Queen Street East in Toronto unanimously ratified their first collective agreement with a three-year term on December 21, 2023.
These workers will now enjoy the benefits of belonging to a Union and the protection of a collective agreement including a grievance process and just cause protection.
The new hire rate will jump from minimum wage to $17.15/hour and then to $17.60 after one year of service. They will then receive $0.40/hour increases in each of the remaining years of the CBA. Shift leads will jump from $19.00 to $19.50 (new hires) and will receive steady increases of $0.40/hour in each year of the agreement. There will be a one-time signing bonus of $400.00 for full-time and $200.00 for part-time sales associates.
Full time employees will have five sick days per calendar year after one year of service, three of the days shall be with pay.
Other language gains include:
- Vision care coverage for frames, lenses and eye exam of $250 every 24 months.
- Gender neutral language will be reflected throughout the agreement.
- The employer agrees to contribute 4 cents per hour worked effective the date of ratification to the Training & Education Fund for all hours paid to bargaining unit employees.
- The National Day for Truth and Reconciliation and Remembrance Day will be included in the list of paid holidays.
- Full-time employees with one year of service will receive one float day, and one additional float day on January 1, 2026.
Union negotiating committee: Raghav Chawla and Kerri Lee. Union Representative: Sabrina Qadir and HOPE Community Director: Mike Mattioli.
Catch up on all the negotiation highlights from across the province here.
Plus, you can also sign up to receive monthly e-newsletters from Your Union.