Metro Southgate members unanimously ratify wage and language improvements
October 19, 2023
The members at Metro Southgate in Ottawa unanimously ratified a four-year agreement on October 13, 2023. Wage improvements are as follows: Full-time at or above end rate: Year 1 – $0.75 (retro back to September 1, 2023), Year 2 – $0.75, Year 3 – $0.55 and Year 4 – $0.55. Part-time at or above end rate: Year 1 – $0.75 (retro back to September 1, 2023), Year 2 – $0.75, Year 3 – $0.55 and Year 4 – $0.55.
There will now be one wage scale for all full-time employees and one wage scale for all part-time employees with the deletion of the pre and post wage scales. The part-time wage scale end rate will also be reduced to 5201+ hours (from 6501+).
Lump sum payments will also be made as follows:
- Full-time hired prior to December 8, 2013 – $500.00 lump sum payment September 1st in each year of the contract.
- Full-time hired after December 8, 2013 – $250.00 lump sum payment September 1st in each year of the contract.
- Full-time hired prior to September 30, 1997 – $450.00 lump sum payment September 1st in each year of the contract.
- Part-time hired prior to September 30, 1990 – $300.00 lump sum payment September 1st in each year of the contract.
- Part-time with 3900 or more hours worked will receive $300.00 lump sum payment September 1st in each year of the contract.
- Part-time with less than 3900 hours worked will receive $125.00 lump sum payment September 1st in each year of the contract.
- Increase to Night Crew premium from $0.95 to $1.10 per hour.
- New U-Scan premium of $0.75 per hour.
Language improvements include:
- Vision benefit increased to $300.00 (up from $250.00).
- Increase to the Short-term disability payment for full-time from the current $500.00 to $595 per week.
- NEW – Part-time employees who average 22 hours per week shall receive effective January 1, 2024 – 16 hours of paid sick leave and January 1, 2025 – 24 hours of paid sick leave.
- Safety boot allowance increased to $150.00 annually for full-time and $150.00 every two years for part-time.
- Increase to allotment for uniform allowance.
- A Letter of Understanding will be added re: The National Day for Truth and Reconciliation which provides for an annual paid floater day for both full and part-time.
- Reimbursement language will be added for errors in employees’ pay cheque.
- New – Wedding Leave – one day off with pay.
- New – ratification meeting leave, reviewing new CBA leave (all one day off with pay for the Negotiating Committee).
- New – Cross Training language to be posted and awarded by seniority
Union negotiating committee: Matt Ingram, Cathy Rideout, Brigitte Serrano and Mathew VanSeters. Union representatives: Sandra Proulx and Joe Tenn.
Catch up on all the negotiation highlights from across the province here.
Are you ready to find out more and want to talk to one of our Organizers? Send them an email at email@example.com or give them a call at 1-800-565-8329. All your conversations with our Organizers are confidential.