Marek Hospitality members unanimously ratify numerous improvements with new agreement
May 30, 2023
Marek Hospitality members across the province of Ontario unanimously ratified a three-year agreement at a series of meetings held from March 27 to April 5, 2023 with wage increases in each year of the term.
A Registered Retirement Saving Plan (RRSP) for employees who work more than 20 hours per week and have accumulated at least five years of seniority will be available.
Employees with five years of seniority, who chose to participate in the RRSP program will receive a contribution from Marek of from $40.00 to $60.00 per four-week period up to a maximum of from $500.00 to $700.00 per year. Employees, with ten (10) years of seniority, who chose to participate in the RRSP program will receive a contribution from Marek of from $60.00 to $80.00 per four-week period up to a maximum of from $700.00 to $1000.00 per year.
Language improvements include:
- Pandemic language
- Gender neutrality will be reflected throughout
- Joint labour management meetings
- 16 hours will be added to the Personal Hours Plan for a total of 56 hours
- 20 hours will be added to the Personal Hour Plan for drivers for a total of 60 hours
- Improved language for when management calls in employees on short notice
- For drivers: the employer will purchase two electric pallet jacks in the first year of this Collective Agreement and one electric pallet jack in each of the subsequent years for a total of five over the life of this Collective Agreement.
We were successful in negotiating NEW paid sick days where all employees will be entitled to one paid sick day per calendar year after the completion of 30 worked days or 240 hours worked (whichever comes first). An achievement the members were happy to have accomplished.
Union negotiating committee: Margaret Rocheleau and Andrew Ruthowski. Union representative: Sabrina Qadir.
Catch up on all the negotiation highlights from across the province here.
Have you moved? Update your address with us.