Food Basics members vote 99.5% in favour of strike mandate
November 13, 2023
On November 12, 2023, strike votes took place at 41 locations across the province. As a result, Food Basics members have voted 99.5% in favour of a strike mandate.
What does this mean?
A strong strike vote mandate means that the Union Negotiating Committee can return to bargaining with a clear and strong message for the employer: Food Basics members are ready to take action if a fair agreement cannot be reached.
A strike vote does not mean that a strike will absolutely happen, but members should prepare for that possibility.
What led to the strike vote?
The Food Basics Collective Agreement, which expired on August 19, 2023, covers approximately 7,350 bargaining unit members at 114 stores in Ontario.
- In January 2023, the Union took bargaining proposals and nominations for your Union Negotiating Committee.
- In March 2023, elections for the Union Negotiating Committee took place.
- The elected Union Negotiating Committee met July 24 – 25, 2023 to review proposals and prepare a final proposal document to take into bargaining.
- The first round of bargaining with the employer took place August 15 – 17, 2023.
- Further bargaining dates were set for October 18 – 19, and November 1 – 3, 2023.
- Following those October meetings, on November 2, 2023, the Union requested conciliation services from the Ministry of Labour to assist in reaching a fair deal.
- At the end of the day on November 3, 2023, the Union Negotiating Committee broke off negotiations due to your employer’s proposals to seek concessions in the contract and inexcusable wage offers.
Solidarity & Support
Throughout the bargaining process and especially during any potential strike action, solidarity and support for your Union Negotiating Committee is vital to achieving a good collective agreement. Thank you to the members for your participation and engagement throughout this process.
If members have any questions or concerns about negotiations, please reach out to your Union Representative.
Your UFCW Local 175 Food Basics Union Negotiating Committee
Make sure your address is up to date with the Union! Fill out a change of address form here.