Your Union is here to fight for you. Every day.
Find all COVID-19 related posts and news items from UFCW Locals 175 & 633 here in one spot.
Since early 2020, your Union has been actively working to represent and fight for the rights of the members across the province who are working on the frontlines of this pandemic.
From healthcare to retail grocery and pharmacy; from meat processing and food production to emergency services; from manufacturing to hospitality and services; the Members of UFCW Locals 175 & 633 have stepped up to keep the province and this country moving forward, and to keep people fed and cared for throughout the challenges brought by COVID-19.
This page contains all of the pandemic-related items – news releases, articles, social media, resources and more – that the Union has published since March 2020.
For information specific to your workplace, including any grievances on matters related to COVID-19, you should contact your Union Representative.
If you have any other questions or concerns about work, your collective agreement, or need assistance accessing government resources or supports, please reach out to your Union Representative as well.
Here are some of the media stories the Local Union, UFCW, and Members have been mentioned in.
- CTV News Kitchener Apr 29, 2021: Union representing local workers critical of province's paid sick leave program
- CBC News Apr 22, 2021: Cargill union calls for pop-up vaccine clinic as meat plant outbreak grows
- CBC As it Happens Apr 16, 2021: Cargill Dunlop Union Steward Robin Przybyla speaks about the experience of being an essential worker in a meat plant during the pandemic (starts at 36:25)
- Toronto Star Apr 12, 2021: ‘Aren’t we essential?’: Front-line workers say they’re left out of Ontario’s vaccine rollout
- Guelph Today Apr 9, 2021: Give frontline food production workers vaccine, says Cargill union
- CTV Toronto Mar 5, 2021: Segment on vaccine rollout and essential workers (starts at 5:20)
- CityNews Toronto Jan 18, 2021: Frontline workers concerned about vaccine priority list
- CBC Dec 10, 2020: 21 workers at Cargill meat plant in Guelph, Ont. test positive for COVID-19
- Newstalk 610 Dec 2020: Donation to Food Banks - Radio Interview
- Newstalk 610 Nov 4, 2020: Niagara MPP wants workers in grocery stores, pharmacies, and others to continue getting pandemic pay
- The Pointer Oct 26, 2020: Care for our essential workers is less than adequate as Peel's COVID numbers skyrocket
- CBC Oct 8, 2020: Workers, families hold protest for long-term care changes
- TBNewsWatch.com Sept 30, 2020: Local union donates van to Shelter House SOS program
- HamiltonNews.com Aug 27, 2020: Hamilton workers eager to return safely to work, say labour leaders
- London Free Press Jul 31, 2020: London pizza factory Dr. Oetker shuts down after worker falls ill with COVID-19
- CBC Jul 2, 2020: 'We're not heroes anymore:' Maple Leaf Foods workers upset to see pandemic pay end
- Toronto Star Jun 15, 2020: I am still an essential worker — don’t take away our pay hike
- Georgina Post May 24, 2020: Grocery workers face harassment, as shoppers vent their frustrations during pandemic
- Guelph Today Apr 30, 2020: More workers now eligible for free emergency child care, including grocery and meat processing
- CBC Apr 9, 2020: Spitting and coughing assaults on service workers 'ramped up' amid COVID-19, union says
- London Free Press Mar 23, 2020: Union wins added pay support for London area food workers
- National Post Mar 21, 2020: Loblaws to install plexiglass shields to protect cashiers from coronavirus
- Ottawa CTV Mar 21, 2020: Loblaws hikes employee pay amid COVID-19 crisis
- Press Progress Mar 16, 2020: Metro Grocery Stores drops policy asking workers to get doctors notes if they think they have COVID-19
- CBC May 14, 2020: 3 cases of COVID-19 at Guelph beef processing plant, union says
- CBC May 8, 2020: Two cases of COVID-19 at separate meat processing plants operated by Sofina Foods
Plus, check out the video below to see a quick video on the pandemic premium campaign many members took part in last year to #KeepPandemicPay.
COVID-19 News & Posts
News releases, articles, ratified collective agreements containing pandemic language, and more
- La Rocca Creative Cakes ratifies a new agreement with pandemic language July 14, 2021On July 10, 2021 the 126 members at La Rocca Creative Cakes in Richmond Hill and GTA ratified a new ...Read the full post.
- Norfolk Fruit Growers ratifies a new collective agreement with state of emergency language. July 12, 2021The members at Norfolk Fruit Growers in Simcoe ratified a new four-year agreement on June 10, 2021. Members will receive ...Read the full post.
- St. Peter’s daycare secures new deal with pandemic pay language. July 5, 2021St. Peters Daycare in Hamilton ratified a 2-year deal on June 14, 2021. The members will receive wage increases in ...Read the full post.
- Aramark Scarborough General members have a new collective agreement May 25, 2021Our members at Aramark Scarborough General Cafeteria have ratified a new three year agreement. The 12 employees will see wage ...Read the full post.
- Members at Transcare in Scarborough ratify new deal May 25, 2021On May 11, 2021 the approximately 200 full and part time members at Transcare Community Support Services in Scarborough ratified ...Read the full post.
- Coalition of unions representing LTC staff calls on Chartwell shareholders to vote out Mike Harris May 19, 2021On the eve of annual meeting, Union coalition representing majority of Chartwell workers calls for ouster of board chair Mike ...Read the full post.