Community Action Network
The Community Action Network (CAN) celebrates the diversity and multiculturalism of the Local’s members. President Kelly Tosato is dedicated to embracing the many unique cultures that make up our Union. Throughout the year, CAN organizes and sponsors a wide variety of events and programs to highlight the communities of our members.
At the National and International level, UFCW equity-seeking groups include:
- UFCW OUTreach (International)
- UFCW Minority Coalition (International)
- UFCW United Latinos (International)
- Human Rights, Equity and Diversity Committee (Canada)
- Women and Gender Equity Committee (Canada)
- Workplace Rights Committee (Canada)
- Young Workers Committee (Canada)
United through diversity, it is our mission to:
- Strengthen our Local Unions and the level of service to the members within our Local Unions by building on the principles of commitment, respect, justice and equality for all our members, while representing and supporting the multiculturalism and diversity of our membership.
- Continue reaching out to and building relationships with organizations and community groups that share Locals’ 175 & 633 values and commitment to our members’ participation in and contributions to their communities outside the workplace for the betterment of all our members’ lives and our Local Unions.
- Work jointly with community groups and organizations to educate members, stewards and staff about circumstances and issues that affect our diverse membership and help them develop as community leaders to improve the everyday lives of their co-workers and communities.