Redpath Sugar ratifies the elimination of two-tier wage grid and improved overtime language
Members in Belleville working at Redpath Sugar ratified a five-year agreement on May 28, 2023.
Employees hired prior to Nov 28, 2010 will receive wage increase of: $0.82 retroactive to Dec 10, 2022, Year 2 – $0.65, Year 3 – $0.55, Year 4 – $0.56, Year 5 – $0.84. Members will also receive a $500 lump sum payment upon ratification.
Employees hired on or after Nov 28, 2010 will receive wage increases of: $1.51 retroactive to Dec 10, 2022, Year 2 – $0.87, Year 3 – $0.79, Year 4 – $0.83, Year 5 – $1.12.
These increases will eliminate the lower tier wage grid at the end of the 4th year, which approximately 80% of the membership were on. Eliminating this wage tier during the term of the agreement ensures the higher tier wage grid will not disappear when the remaining workers approximately 20% on this grid quit or retire.
Language improvements include:
- Meal allowance increases to $12.00.
- Stronger seniority provisions for training assignments, postings, layoff/recall.
- Improved vacation language regarding scheduling of vacation.
- Improved Mandatory Overtime language with further restrictions on the employer’s ability to mandate employees to work overtime.
Union negotiating committee: Neil Asselstine, Holly Bresett and Alex MacQuarrie. Region 3 Director: Paul Hardwick and Union Representative: Sean Carroll.
Read more about other recent organizing victories for working people across the province!
Are you ready to find out more and want to talk to one of our Organizers? Send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give them a call at 1-800-565-8329. All your conversations with our Organizers are confidential.