Types of WSIB Claims

August 15, 2017 at 12:01pm

Workers Comp Claims & Appeals: Types of Claims
Information adopted from the Ontario Worker Adviser (OWA) website. Used with permission.

What is a workplace accident?

A workplace accident is an injury that occurs as a result of a single incident. For example, you might fall and break a bone, injure your back lifting a heavy box or be cut by a sharp object.

What is a workplace disablement?

A disablement is an injury that is caused by the type of work you do. A disablement does not require a specific incident. Often, these types of injuries are a result of doing the same thing over and over again. For example, you might develop pain in your arms or shoulders over several hours or days working on an assembly line.

What psychological conditions can I file a claim for?

In some cases, you can receive benefits for psychological conditions, such as depression or anxiety.

You can claim benefits for a psychological condition caused by a recognized workplace accident or illness. For example, if you develop depression because you were injured and off work for an extended period, you can claim benefits for that depression.

Special rules apply to psychological conditions caused by workplace stress. If you have a psychological condition caused by workplace stress, contact the Workers’ Compensation Department.

What is an occupational disease?

An occupational disease is a disease or illness that was caused by some aspect of your job. Often, occupational diseases are caused by exposure to chemicals or substances in the workplace. For example, you might develop lung cancer because you were exposed to asbestos in your workplace.

You can file a claim for occupational disease if:

  • You have been diagnosed with a disease that you think is related to your employment; or
  • You have been removed from exposure to a substance to prevent you from developing a disease.

Many diseases take a long time to develop. You can file a claim for occupational disease even if you no longer work at the job that you think caused your disease.

Read more on Occupational Disease WSIB Claims.

What kind of hearing loss can I file a claim for?

You can file a WSIB claim for hearing loss if:

  • You were exposed to loud noise as part of your job
  • Have suffered hearing loss.

This is called noise-induced hearing loss. You can file a claim even if you only have a partial loss of hearing.

What are survivors’ benefits?

If you are a spouse, child or other dependent of a worker who died as a result of a workplace injury or disease you can file a claim for survivors’ benefits. Survivors’ benefits include a lump sum payment and monthly benefits. Surviving spouses may also be entitled to assistance with re-entering the workforce. Funeral expenses and counselling for survivors may also be covered.