CPP Disability & WSIB Benefits

August 15, 2017 at 12:19pm

Workers Comp Claims & Appeals: CPP Disability & WSIB BenefitsInformation adapted from the Ontario Worker Adviser (OWA) website. Used with permission.

You may be eligible for both Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPP-D) and Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) benefits. WSIB can consider CPP Disability benefits administered by Service Canada. Similarly, Service Canada can consider benefits you receive from WSIB. Here are some of the things you should think about when asking for benefits under the two different programs.

What Kind of CPP Benefits Could Interact with WSIB Benefits?

CPP Disability benefits (CPP-D), CPP Survivor benefits (CPP-S), and CPP Retirement benefits (CPP-R) could all interact with WSIB benefits. This fact sheet only deals with CPP-D and WSIB benefits. For questions involving the other kinds of benefits under the Canada Pension Plan, please consult the Workers’ Compensation Department.

Can I Apply for CPP-D Benefits if WSIB Says I Can Work?

Yes. CPP Disability and WSIB are two separate systems with different definitions of disability. You may be eligible for CPP-D benefits even if WSIB has decided you can perform some type of work. Also, where CPP-D considers all your health problems, generally WSIB considers only the work-related health problems.

What Is the Interaction Between CPP-D Benefits and Work Transition?

If you are sponsored in a work transition (WT) program by WSIB, generally you will receive full WSIB benefits while re-training to return to work. If you then apply for CPP-D benefits during the work transition (WT) process, the WSIB adjudicator(s) could get the impression you are unable to return to work. As a result, your WT program and benefits could possibly be terminated by WSIB.

If you are receiving CPP-D benefits and want to apply for WT, then WSIB may not allow this as well. But if you wait too long to apply for CPP-D benefits you may no longer meet the CPP eligibility criteria.

From the Canada Pension Plan point of view, your enrolment in a WSIB sponsored WT program may indicate you are capable of working. Your ability to work could mean that your disability is not severe enough to entitle you to CPP-D benefits. The CPP-D system does allow for some vocational re-training and your involvement in a WT program would be viewed as part of the whole picture. So you could still be eligible for CPP-D benefits. Each situation is complex and must be evaluated on an individual basis.

When Do I Tell WSIB That I Have CPP-D Benefits?

Under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997, a worker must advise WSIB of a material change in circumstances within 10 calendar days of the change occurring. This means you must tell WSIB about the material change within ten days of the date on the Federal Government’s letter advising you of your entitlement to CPP-D benefits. Failure to report the material change to WSIB as soon as possible can result in some very serious consequences.