YIG workers ratify new contract
The more than 100 workers at the Kemptville Jonsson’s YIG grocery store secured a new four-year collective agreement at a ratification vote held April 10, 2011. Workers receive lump sum payments in the first year and hourly rate increases thereafter in addition to other improvements:
- In year one, full-time workers receive a lump sum payment of $500 and part-time receive $250.
- In each of the remaining three years covered by the contract term, full-time end rates increase by 30 cents per hour and part-time end rates increase by 25 cents per hour.
- Workers on the night crew benefit from an improved shift premium and the Department Manager relief pay is now applicable to part-time workers as well.
- Contributions to the group RRSP increase by $25 per year.
- Full-time workers will be credited one floater holiday effective the last year of the contract term.
- Bereavement leave provisions improve.
- Workers receive an increased safety boot allowance.
Union Negotiating Committee: Debbie Gilmer, Mike Jones and Union Rep Simon Baker.