Automatic Welding workers ratify
On September 30, 2010, members working at Automatic Welding in Kitchener secured their new three-year collective agreement at a ratification meeting. Members will benefit from the following improvements:
- Safety boot allowance increases to $160 per year, up from $145.
- Wages increase 75 cents in each year of the agreement.
- Weekly hours of work decreases to 44, from 47. All work performed in excess of daily or weekly hours of work shall be paid at time and one half.
- A premium of 60 cents per hour (up from 25 cents), will be paid for all hours worked after 5:00 p.m.
- Workers will receive 9.5 hours pay for all paid holidays.
- Family Day is a recognized holiday.
- Vision care increases to $150 per year as of ratification date and then to $175 on October 1, 2012 while Group Life insurance & AD&D increases to $43,000.
- The employer will pay members of the negotiating committee for all time spent in bargaining up to a maximum of two days.
- The employer will now contribute $500 every two years for hearing aides.
- Long Term Disability increases by $100 in each year of the agreement.
- Bereavement leave is automatic and will not be up to the employer’s discretion.
- The employer will now pay apprentices for hours lost while attending school. A new Sunset Clause was negotiated whereby a discipline older than 18 months cannot be relied upon.
- The employer will now contribute $500 to the UFCW Training & Education Fund in each year of agreement.
Negotiating Committee: Dave Elgie, Robert Siopiolosz and Union Representative Rob Nicholas.