Canteen of Canada workers cast their vote
Members working at Canteen of Canada (Compass Group) in Cambridge met to ratify a negotiated contract at a meeting held September 8, 2010. The new three-year term includes the following improvements:
- Wages increase by 35 cents per hour in the second and third year of the contract term with the first year’s wage increase rolled into the Canadian Commercial Workers Industry Pension Plan (CCWIPP) Stabilization Fund instead in order to secure the workers’ pensions.
- The shoe allowance increases to $100, up from $90, effective August 2011.
- Company contributions to the UFCW Trusteed Dental Plan increase by 5 cents per hour in each year of the contract beginning on August 26, 2010. In addition, the employer will increase its contributions to the UFCW Benefit Trust Fund to 10.5 per cent effective January 2013, up from the current 10 per cent.
- The company will contribute 35 cents per hour toward the CCWIPP Stabilization Fund in addition to its current contributions to the plan.
- The contract now includes Family Day as a paid holiday.
Union Negotiating Committee: Paul Lane and Union Rep Rob Nicholas.